Permanent Senior Mechanical Building Services Design Engineer
We are working in a partnership with one of the world’s most respected design, engineering, and project management consultancies.
They have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Building Services Design Engineer to join their offices in Epsom, London, Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham, Warrington, Leeds and Glasgow.
What you will be doing:
- Ensuring an understanding of project briefs.
- Design and specification of all Mechanical Building Services systems – heating, cooling, ventilation, controls, etc.
- Carry out (and managing of others), in the production of detailed calculations using industry standard digital tools inc. Excel, IES, Hevacomp, in-house developed tools, etc.
- Preparing technical specifications using NBS.
- Work in partnership with the company’s international Global Technology Centre (GTC) to add value to building services projects where appropriate.
- Collaborate with our BIM team to prepare models and drawings, with a working understanding of Autodesk Revit.
- Representing the company at meetings with clients and contractors.
- Site surveys, inspections and monitor site works.
- Report and technical note writing.
- Maintaining complete records and archives to company standards.
- Adherence to all quality, environmental & governance processes.
- Managing own workload, updating forward plan of workload regularly and working to time allocations.
- Managing elements of project delivery and an understanding of budget costings.
- Reviewing progress, including reporting any anomalies and changes of scope to the project lead.
- Assist with technical development of junior staff.
What they are looking for:
- Degree qualified, or equivalent qualification, in Building Services Engineering / Mechanical Engineering or related subjects.
- Chartered Engineer with CIBSE or IMechE.
- Good level of computer literacy in a range of digital tools including IES thermal modelling package, Hevacomp, NBS and Microsoft packages.
- Familiar with energy reduction methods and approaches to decarbonising new and existing buildings.
- Some knowledge of energy related contracts and funding mechanisms such as SALIX.
- Understanding of energy and carbon related data capture and analytics.
- Awareness of the principles of building physics such as passive design solutions and fabric first approaches.
- Competent in designing for measurement and verification, including experience of commissioning and post installation evaluation of performance.
- Experience of working in a design consultancy and/or experience of working within a contractor design environment is essential.
- Detailed knowledge of appropriate technical standards.
- Able to take charge of project deliverables, make decisions, act on own initiative, and operate in a pro-active way. Good report writing skills, experience of making presentations to and attending meetings with clients is essential.
- Comfortable working within time and cost budgets as agreed at project briefing meetings.
- Undertake any other reasonable tasks or duties as required by the management team from time to time, to maintain flexibility in the organisation.
What they offer:
- Competitive salary
- 25 days Annual Leave + Bank Holidays
- Flexi time
- Hybrid Working