Permanent Senior Civil Engineer
To undertake in the day to day design of civil engineering projects according to the guidelines set-out in the technical department’s Best Practice Policy in order to provide a quality and cost-effective service.
Reports to: Associate Engineering Director
Works with: All stakeholders including:
- To undertake in the management of projects from initial briefing through to design and construction up to adoption within the specified timescales.
- Ensure compliance with the Company’s Health & Safety Policy.
- To allocate work to junior members of staff appropriate to their skills and experience
- To undertake with the training of junior staff.
- To carry out all necessary functions to assist the smooth running of the Civil Engineering Department.
- To undertake designs achieving practical and economic solutions working either as part of a team or independently.
- To provide technical advice within the Department for planning applications, etc.
- Specific activities regarding infrastructure appraisals, drainage design, highway design
- The preparation of engineering drawings.
- Utilisation of computer-aided design software, drainage design software and PDS modelling
- Liaison with Service Authorities and production of combined services drawings.
- To manage the progress of the project from initial briefing, through design and construction, to adoption within the specified timescales.
- To maintain effective and efficient infrastructure and detailed site design and construction within.
- Checking all design work throughout the department.
Health and safety:
- Ensure you have read the Company’s health and safety policies and procedures observe them at all times.
- Reporting any accidents or near misses immediately to your Manager and record them in the accident book.
- Ensure your workplace is kept tidy and any hazards are eliminated or reported to your line manager
- Wear appropriate protective clothing on site at all times.
- Attend all health and safety training as required by the Company.
Skills & experience
Education, training or qualifications:
- Bachelor of Engineering degree (BEng), or,
- Masters degree in Civil Engineering (MEng), or
- Or equivalent qualifications
- Experience working within a residential house builder
- In-depth knowledge of CAD
- Knowledge or other engineering packages (Geosite, Smart Engineer, Autotrack, Microdrainage, PDS)
- Understanding of changes to regulations and legislation
Special skills or knowledge:
- Strong mathematical and IT ability
- Able to analyse complex data and critically evaluate plans
- Good decision-making skills
- Good understanding of budget management
- A good communicator/listener
- The ability to visualise and explain design ideas
- Good team working skills
- Accurate with an eye for detail
Interpersonal skills and attitude:
- Decision making/problem solving/multi-tasking
- Excellent communications skills
- Able to work under pressure and achieve deadlines
- Behave in line with our values
- Achieved incorporated or chartered status
- Be a member of Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE)