Permanent Mechanical Design Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer – Birmingham
- Design and specification of all Mechanical Building Services systems – heating, cooling, ventilation, controls, etc.
- Carry out (& managing others), in the production of detailed calculations using industry standard digital tools inc. Excel, IES, Hevacomp, in-house developed tools, etc.
- Preparing technical specifications using NBS.
- Working in partnership with an international Global Design Centre (GDC) to add value to building services projects where appropriate.
- Preparing drawings for drafting by the CAD team a working understanding / use of Autodesk (& Revit).
- Representing them at meetings with clients and contractors.
- Site surveys, inspections and monitor site works.
- Report & technical note writing.
- Liaise with architects and other designers in interpreting input information and applying it to generate a comprehensive mechanical design
- Maintaining complete records and archives to company standards.
- Adherence to all quality, environmental & governance processes.
- Managing own workload
- Lead and manage your projects independently with little assistance within budget.
- Reviewing progress, inc. reporting any anomalies and changes of scope to the line manager.
- Help & assist with technical development of junior staff
- Degree qualified, or equivalent qualification, in Building Services Engineering or related subjects.
- Chartered Engineer with CIBSE / IMechE, or working towards chartership.
- Sufficient experience working on Building Services projects
- Sufficient experience working in a design consultancy – some experience of working within a contractor environment is additionally welcome
- Good knowledge and skills designing in a 3D environment, including experience in 3D software packages including Revit.
- Good level of computer literacy in a range of digital tools inc.; IES thermal modelling package, Hevacomp, NBS and Microsoft packages, Bluebeam, and an understanding of AutoCAD for infrequent use.
- Experience working in a design consultancy and/or experience of working within a contractor design environment is essential
- Have a detailed knowledge of appropriate technical standards.
- Able to take charge of project deliverables, make decisions, act on own initiative and operate in a pro-active way.
- Good report writing skills, experience of making presentations to and attending meetings with client is essential.
Due to the nature of projects, you must be eligible for security clearance and will be provided to undergo a security vetting process.