Permanent Civil Structural Engineer
Undertake design, supervision, management and negotiations culminating in sound structural solutions.
- Design good economical, sound structural solutions whether working within a team environment, independently or with external consultants.
- Carry out all aspects of cost effective detailed structural engineering design in relation to the Company’s activities, to agreed programme dates.
- Production of all relevant working drawings as required.
- Monitoring of external consultants to produce same.
- Progressive in using available technology to improve best working practices.
- Effective use of CAD facilities in structural engineering design work.
- Assess all site investigations and make all other relevant departments aware of any potential risks and solutions thereto.
- Assess proposed sites including arranging site investigation work to enable proposals for foundation design to be made.
- Ensure all other relevant departments are fully aware of implications of the design.
- Communicate, liaise and arrange meetings with NHBC and Local Authorities where applicable on structural engineering matters to achieve the necessary approvals.
- Ensure all necessary disciplines are kept fully informed of all structural issues.
- Arrange and attend such meetings as deemed necessary to deal with structural queries or problems in a timely manner.
- Be proactive in dealing with sites and the NHBC to gain good sound economic solutions on site.
- Undertake site inspections as and when required concerning structural items.
- Commission external consultants when necessary in relation to specific works (bore holes, ground treatments, materials testing, piling designs).
- Liaise with the consultants in connection with the Company’s requirements.
- Prepare tender packages for specialist design (e.g. steel frames, piling, vibro).
- Check and approve specialist details.
- Liaise with any structural specialists to ensure good, sound economic solutions are achieved.
- Manage and liaise with other departments with regard to after sale problems.
- Inspect and report on any problems relating to structural matters.
- Inspect of remedial works as and when required.
Education, training or qualifications:
- 3 A’ levels or equivalent qualification, inc. Maths or Science
- HNC / HND at technician level but must be willing to complete a degree course whilst working
- At least 12 months experience working within a residential house builder
- In-depth knowledge of CAD
- Knowledge of structural packages
- Understanding of changes to regulations and legislation
Special skills or knowledge:
- Strong mathematical and IT ability
- Able to analyse complex data and critically evaluate plans
- Good understanding of budget management
- The ability to visualise and explain design ideas