Permanent Technical Manager – Design
This is a senior level opportunity to join one of the largest and most respected construction contractors in the UK and have a direct impact on their reputation through quality of their product. For over 45 years they have been entrusted with the quality and timely delivery of a diverse range of complex new build, refurbishment and fit-out projects across a wide variety of sectors. The fact that over 3/4 of their turnover is generated by repeat business speaks volumes about how their clients perceive them and their customer service focus.
There is an immediate requirement for a Technical Manager to be based at the Head Office in Bristol. You will have extensive input into the company Design and Build policies and procedures including the selection and management of design portion subcontractors. Through management of the Design Managers you will have input and oversight on all projects – especially ones of significant importance and value.
- To co-ordinate with the Heads of each department in order to drive processes for designing the solution, estimating accurate costs and planning the viable implementation of the project.
- Interfacing with the Bid Manager and team to ensure proposals and tenders put forward are design compliant and therefore viable / potentially profitable.
- Encourage the value engineering process at all relevant stages of the process.
- Interface between the client, design team and design portion subcontractors. Ensure that the client’s brief is communicated and understood by the designers and project team.
- Recruitment, training and mentoring of Design Management staff. Effective leadership and management of direct reports to deliver industry leading performance and customer service.
- Selecting and deploying the most suitable person for each project.
- Ongoing evaluation of consultants and design portion subcontractors. Making business wide recommendations.
- Execution of design audits of consultants and subcontractors.
- Ensuring proactive and effective client relationship management.
- Promotion of staff satisfaction and engagement
- Management of change control, ensuring liaison with the project commercial team. Communication of implications of any change to the client.
- Actively participating in senior executive meetings, making suggestions to continually improve the Design Management function.
To be considered a suitable applicant for this role you will need the following attributes:
- Educated to HNC or Degree level in a construction related subject.
- Demonstrable pre and post contract experience in design management.
- Superior interpersonal, communication and rapport building abilities.
- The ability to effectively manage direct staff, consultants and subcontractors.
- A proven track record of risk management and value engineering.
- A comprehensive understanding of the relevant and current construction and planning legislation, regulations, codes of practice and guidelines.
- Working knowledge of sustainable design and BREEAM.
An appropriate and industry relevant salary package will be offered to the right candidate for the role – someone who can have a positive business wide impact and relish the challenges the role presents. To apply for the role please follow instructions or call Paul Massocchi for a confidential discussion on 0117 9738 507 / 07932 647 631.