Permanent Senior Design Manager – Main Contractor
This is a senior level opportunity to join one of the largest and most respected construction contractors in the UK. For over 45 years they have been entrusted with the quality and timely delivery of a diverse range of complex new build, refurbishment and fit-out projects across a wide variety of sectors. The fact that over 3/4 of their turnover is generated by repeat business speaks volumes about how their clients perceive them and their customer service focus.
There is an immediate requirement for a Senior Design Manager to be based at the Head Office in Bristol. You will have input into the company Design and Build procedure, work on significant projects and report to the Pre Construction Director. Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Co-ordination of the design process from bid through to live projects. This will include liaising and advising client design teams on traditional projects and management of the design teams on D&B projects.
- Interrogation of external design briefs and reporting on findings to the Bid Management teams.
- Production of Design Management plans and ensuring requirements of the plan are achieved within the timeframe set by the tender and construction programmes.
- Carry out value engineering to all relevant aspects of design.
- Interface between the client, design team and design portion subcontractors. Ensure that the client’s brief is communicated and understood by the designers and project team.
- Represent the company in design meetings, chairing those meetings where appropriate.
- Management of change control, ensuring liaison with the project commercial team. Communication of implications of any change to the client.
- Ongoing evaluation of consultants and design portion subcontractors. Making business wide recommendations.
- Assistance in the compilation of the contractor’s proposal documents.
- Execution of design audits of consultants and subcontractors.
- Effective leadership and management of direct reports to deliver industry leading performance and customer service.
- Proactive and effective client relationship management.
- Working to deadlines and within tight schedules.
- Promotion of staff satisfaction and engagement
- Communicating effectively – both internally and externally.
- Report writing.
- Understanding and answering design related questions from pre-qualification and tender questionnaires.
To be considered a suitable applicant for this role you will need the following attributes:
- Educated to HNC or Degree level in a construction related subject.
- Demonstrable pre and post contract experience in design management.
- Public sector experience.
- A proven track record of risk management and value engineering.
- A comprehensive understanding of the relevant and current construction legislation, regulation, codes of practice and guidelines.
- Working knowledge of sustainable design and BREEAM.
An appropriate and industry relevant salary package will be offered to the right candidate for the role – someone who relishes the challenges the role presents. To apply for the role please follow instructions or call Paul Massocchi for a confidential discussion on 0117 9738 507 / 07932 647 631.